What is Vertebral Subluxation Complex (VSC)?
Vertebral Subluxation Complex (VSC) is THE most serious threat to your health and well-being. But first, we should examine where health comes from.
It is the brain and the nervous system that controls and coordinates every cell, tissue, organ and system of the body. VSC is the most serious interference with that control and coordination, allowing chaos within your body, instead of harmony. When one or more vertebrae are out of proper juxtaposition and/or not functioning properly, there will be an interference to the normal transmission of what we call “the mental impulse.” This is Vertebral Subluxation Complex (VSC). It can cause an ache or a pain, anything at all up to and including life-threatening disease. Disease begins with “dis-ease,” a lack of ease, of health.
VSC causes you to express less Life. It causes you to express less of your genetic potential, which is one reason why it is so important for children to be under regular, wellness chiropractic care.
Only a proper chiropractic examination, including X-rays and neurological scans, can detect VSC. And only chiropractic adjustments can correct VSC.
When VSC is uncorrected, your health suffers immediately, though it may not be immediately obvious. When VSC is uncorrected over years and decades, a process known as Subluxation Degeneration will occur. Others (in Medicine) may incorrectly define this as “spinal arthritis.” In reality, Subluxation Degeneration is not a disease process; it is your body trying to prevent worse damage, like spinal fracture. There are four phases of Subluxation Degeneration, up to and including spinal fusion.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- “Do subluxations always involve pain?” No. Most subluxations, even those that may end up being life-threatening, might not be painful at all, or only painful after many decades.
- “How come I’ve never heard of Vertebral Subluxation Complex (VSC) before? It is a term that is integral to Chiropractic. It has no real relation or importance to Medicine, so you will have not heard it in any medical context. Sadly, many chiropractors do not seek to correct VSC as their primary goal; instead, they seek to treat back and neck pain, thereby doing third-rate physical medicine rather than Chiropractic. So, here, too, you would not hear this term.
- “How do you get VSC?” There are three types of causes: (1) Physical trauma, which could be one-time, or repetitive. (2) Chemical exposures, such as vaccinations and other drugs, smoking, poor eating habits and industrial exposures. (3) Stress.
- “When, generally, do people get their first subluxation?” At birth. The twisting and torsion of modern medical birth is astounding, often resulting in significant VSC, right on Day 1. Of course, forceps and vacuum extraction are the worst for this.
- “How is VSC corrected?” VSC that does not self-correct requires chiropractic adjustments.
- “How can I correct my own subluxations? Can I do it with exercise, yoga or Pilates?” No. While these activities may be beneficial, they do not correct VSC.
- “Do the extra things that some chiropractors do, like ultrasound, or laser therapy, massage or disc decompression, correct VSC?” No, none of these things have any value in correcting VSC. So, none of these things belong in a chiropractor’s office.
The Harte of Chiropractic | (415) 460-6527
The Harte of Chiropractic provides authentic chiropractic care for Marin County, Corte Madera, Mill Valley, Larkspur, Novato, Sausalito, San Rafael and San Anselmo families.